Friday, January 20, 2006

Trippin'

I only just got back and off I go again:

My first day back in Ghana, I was offered the chance to go "on loan" to our sister organization in Nairobi, Kenya. In two weeks' time, I will be in East Africa (map)! Circuit rides to Addis Abba, Ethiopia (about 9 days), Kampala, Uganda (5 days) and Kigoma, Tanzania (2 weeks) included! Kigoma is in the northwest part of Tanzania, on Lake Tanganyika and near to the Congo border. It is also close to the national park where Jane Goodall has done all her chimp work. The total trip will be 6 weeks. I'm not sure how much time off I'll have while there, but I'll certainly come home with extra vacation days and money in the pocket from the per diem! Hot damn. (Possible overland trip through Burkina Faso and Mali for two weeks at the beginning of May with two friends as a result?!)

It's a bit of a coup that I get to go. I was technically 7th in line, with 3 spots open to those with the most seniority. 2 struck out because they're not Americans and aren't eligible, 2 resigned just before the trip was announced. After only 5 months on the job (and already a trip to Guinea and a 31 day paid holiday), my timing seems to have been impeccable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address below to subscribe to Kelewele Junction!


powered by Bloglet