Thursday, December 22, 2005

Iowa: You Make Me Smile

While in NYC, I was lucky enough to have a drink with two of my Malaysian friends (visiting on a short exchange program for young professionals). Crazy to see them halfway around the world more than a year later. Jack, as always, teaching me new words and using English better then me. Sharizal, healing from a car accident and stylish as ever with sunglasses, hat and cane. It was great to see you both!

Back in Iowa...

Got a haircut (first in 10 months!)
Went to the dentist
Drove (!)
Visited my cousin and her 2-wk old baby boy
Survived the mall without shellshock. All my shopping was easily finished in Africa, but was accompanying my procrastinating sister! The bag I brought home will go back full of provisions for me, since all contents will be parceled out for the holidays.

I'm sad I can't enjoy unlimited hot showers---my skin is so dry and my lips so chapped! I think I prefer the grease monkey I am in Ghana's humidity.

I am unskillfully answering the standard questions: Do you like Ghana? How does it compare to Egypt and Malaysia? I miss my favorite inquisitors R. and M., who always ask me the most thought-provoking questions (and cook really yummy food and provide me with the image of the family I aspire to have one day).

Happy Holidays! Enjoy the time with your loved ones---I will be!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address below to subscribe to Kelewele Junction!


powered by Bloglet