Saturday, December 17, 2005

Landed

I'm sitting in a 30th floor apartment on the Upper East side of Manhattan with a great view. The weather, though cold for me, is almost 50. Thank goodness I'm being eased into winter.

No hitches in the flight, no public transit worker strike when my plane got it. Friend waiting at airport with coat and, better yet, homemade brownies. She'd remembered it's my favorite. Subwayed to Katrina. Hot shower, Thai food.

I can drink water from the tap.

I blend in (I think I like standing out).

On the flight between Accra and Lagos (transit): Someone's phone made the rooster sound and this totally pimped out Nigerian guy goes, "Nani kore?!" I blinked twice, cocked my head to the side and asked him if he'd just spoken Japanese, thinking something in a local Nigerian language might just had the same sounding words with a different meaning. Yep, he had exclaimed, like a little Japanese schoolgirl, "What's that?!"

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're in the US?! how long are you going to be NYC/the US? are you going to be there over the Xmas holiday? if so, i'll be there, too. or if you're in Iowa around New Year's, I'll be Chicago. i would love to talk to you; my cell is still the same, which i hestitate to post on the internet : P i'm jetting off to Boston and then Philly for a final set of interviews this week : )

- melissa

7:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey... i'll be in chicago, too, jill. look me up if you're around?
---Rachel

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address below to subscribe to Kelewele Junction!


powered by Bloglet