Friday, November 11, 2005

Time Waster

I know you expect me to write about all the fun Tyler and I are having (and secretly harboring desires to hear about further catastrophes, you evil, evil people!).

I tried to blog about our weekend yesterday and I'm just not in the writing mood. It'll come (hopefully Tyler will make good on his promise to do a Guest Blog). I've also got to take more pictures and then post them (did I tell you how a Canadian girl new to Accra recognized me at a local bar from my pictures on here?! A wee bit disturbing).

How have I spent my days at work while Tyler is out trapsing about Accra on his own?

Today:

I read about the Pitcairn Island trials (Pacific island with population 47, half the island's men were tried by British for sexual abuse, eg sleeping with girls as young as 12. (Some) locals claimed a) this was their cultural practice and b) that the UK had no jurisdiction over them.)

Jonestown Massacre (I didn't know that the whole kool-aid suicide thing happened in Guyana or that a US Rep was killed when he went to investigate on behalf of his constituents' with family members in the cult.)

Geoquiz (My scores: a 149 on Africa, 82 on Asia, 80 for the Middle East and 138 in the US. How'd you do?)

Best of Craig's List: Office wide entertainment tactic. Didn't find that many I liked, but yesterday was amused by "bleeding heart liberal seeks sperm donor for abortion" (before Supreme Court outlaws it). Tyler recommended one he remembered from years ago: a personal ad from a 100% genetically Asian woman.

No more looking at the calendar or searching for flights: plane tickets bought for Christmas. Accra-Cairo(transit)-NYC(2 nights, hope somebody will meet me at the airport with a winter coat!)-Iowa. Home from Dec 18-Jan 7. NYC for a day, Egypt for some time (depends on how much vacation time I have accumulated by then), and then back to Ghana.

And today I've got headphones and the blessing of music to make this Friday afternoon speed by a little bit faster. And now a game of Internet Backgammon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address below to subscribe to Kelewele Junction!


powered by Bloglet