Monday, October 17, 2005

State of the Union

I know I'm being prolific. All those posts last week. Well, what do you expect when I'm shut up indoors all day with an internet connection and a newly emptied email inbox and no real work on the horizon? (Anyone in need of a research assistant and willing to pay, I can do your work while I work!)

This is the first time in a my life I've had a job where the work stays at the office. Nights and weekends are all mine; no nagging "I really should be working" feelings, nothing hanging over my head.

I don't know what to do.

My life seems so boring now, I have little to fill up my time. Work, eat, sleep. Repeat.

I woke up Saturday morning before 9am, fully rested because I'd slept so early Friday night. I read for an hour, finishing the novel. Then I was depressed because I had the WHOLE day stretching ahead of me with nothing planned and no good ideas of how to fill the void AND most of my friends were out of town.

I answered when a Ghanaian girl I know called me and agreed to meet up with her. We had a Coke at a 'spot' and were bored together for awhile. Not too much to talk about with her. A bit strained, but at least there was a Ghanaian aspect to my day.

I almost wish I have a TV. Or a place to go running. And where can I find an Arabic textbook in this city?! Perhaps I could find some knitting needles?

Our water was out from Friday evening till Monday morning. I woke up Sunday morning as the winds picked up and I knew that rain was coming. I thought about putting a bucket outside to collect the precious, precious water, but was too lazy in the end.

As I dozed back to sleep, I heard really nice music: female voices softly humming with what seemed to be an aucostic guitar. I was surprised to hear something along the lines of the Indigo Girls coming from my neighbors, who have been known to pump "Barbie Girl" at maximum volume and generally prefer Ghanaian music. As the song ended, I made a mental note to track down the source of the music.

Then the sound became one of a man talking. I couldn't make out the words, but in my grogginess I knew how wrong I'd been.

Sunday!

Not a guitar, but an organ!

I'm not so desperate that I'll go THERE.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address below to subscribe to Kelewele Junction!


powered by Bloglet