Friday, October 07, 2005

Diehard

In NYC, it's the Yankees versus the Mets.
In Cairo, it's Ahli versus Zamalek.

Here in Ghana, you're either for Hearts of Oak or Kotoko.

Hearts of Oak is the Accra team, while Kotoko hails from Kumasi (Ghana's 'second city'). An oak tree versus a porcupine.

I've been trying to decide who "my" team is, but haven't been able to settle on one. I wasn't born into a household supporting one or the other, I don't know the players, and their mottos/songs are equally appealing:

Hearts of Oak: Phobia. "Never say die til the bones are rotting."
Kotoko: Fabulous. "If a thousand die, a thousand more will come."

Both are so over the top...

How will I ever decide?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As As a regular reader of your blog and a fan of your “I am larger than any single country or society” lifestyle and a father of two sons and husband of the greatest woman that ever lived and companion of (not owner, mind you) of two dogs and proud father of two cats I think I have a right to weigh in on this most momentous issue. I was born in Kumasi, but I swear that fact is irrelevant my suggestion here. I am Yankee fan, for Christ’s sake, but I hate George Steinbrener! The first party I recommended a friend’s father to join was the Republican Party; but that was because he was terminally ill. It is always feels good to have the other party lose a member, than to see your own diminished I stature. Anyway, so you see where I am coming from. So, as a kid who used to put on the airs of the stars of my hometown team, who used to lose my voice in chanting their name whenever we beat the damned Phobias, I will give you my unqualified, unbiased, objective and simple suggestion: Go with the Porcupine Warriors, Sister.

2:48 AM  
Blogger Jane said...

I just found out that the teams have political followings as well. Rowlings is from Accra- he supports and funds Hearts of Oak which is tied to the NDC (National Democtatic Congress). Kotoko is tied to the Ashanti people, President Kufor and the NPP (National Political Party). Maybe we should pick a political party before supporting a team :)

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address below to subscribe to Kelewele Junction!


powered by Bloglet