Monday, September 05, 2005

The Reason I Didn't Want To Leave Egypt

amr

When I was leaving Egypt, I had the anxious, agitated feeling I get when I leave home, family, someone I love (like before moving to Malaysia or Ghana). It’s not about where I’m going, but the place I’m leaving and the people left behind.

At the airport, I was a bawling mess, but, luckily, I had Jane to take my passport, check me in, fill out my immigration form for me, and lead me to our gate.

Back in Ghana, I no longer feel this is home. Maybe that feeling will come back; I hope so, I need to live in the here and now. I’ve been sleeping a lot and hiding in the house the past few days . When I did go out, it was with a bunch of expats, which I’ve never found particularly appealing...

I start my job with the refugee resettlement organization in a week’s time. Finally! I’m hoping that will bring me salvation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address below to subscribe to Kelewele Junction!


powered by Bloglet