Friday, July 29, 2005

Perspective

My third first-impression of Cairo is...............it's soooooooooo clean!

Honestly, I'm in shock.

But coming from Ghana most definitely plays a part.

And there are nice gardens and landscaping. And things don't look as crumbly or yellow/brown as I remember. And it isn't THAT hot (I may be speaking prematurely).

As the plane approached Cairo, it seemed to be moving in slow motion, but my heart kept beating faster and faster. I was anxious, nervous, had that kind of sick stomach feeling. Afraid that the country I love will not live up to my memories of it.

In 3 hours, I've had tea with mint, traversed the streets I once knew so well but have somehow forgotten. Now I'm waiting for my friend to come back after Friday prayers so we can eat and play backgammon and surprise some other friends! I'm even looking forward to going to the supermarket near where Dom and I lived. I hope the vegetable guy is still there--he was my favorite.

In 12 hours time I'll be back at the airport for my South Africa flight and the partial-family reunion!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

lucky you!!!! i'm so glad you got a chance to go back =) il hamdo lillah salaama. glad ur safe. say hi to cairo for me. insha allah i'll go back soon =) and have a very safe trip to SA.
-
amber

1:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just checking in on you. haven't heard from u in a while. glad you're safe and having lots of adventures.

rj

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address below to subscribe to Kelewele Junction!


powered by Bloglet