Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Wow versus WAWA

Once again I will make the statement that I don't LOVE Ghana, but I'm also not unhappy here. Ghana might even be growing on me.

In fact, over the last month, I've been having random, shiny, tangible moments of Happy. I feel momentary light and warmth, like the sun has just come out from behind the clouds and I can hear the chorus of angels singing.

When I was walking down the dirt path from the orphanage to get some 'chop.'
Or dancing at the street party after Ghana qualified for the World Cup this weekend.
Or sitting in my apartment in the late afternoon with a cup of tea, feeling at home.

That, of course, contrasts with the days where WAWA: West Africa Wins Again (concept courtesy of Annie, a former Peace Corpse in Guinea). Jane had one of those days yesterday, it would seem. Nothing goes right, everyone is late, the water is out, the internet isn't working, one too many people asks you for your number or to marry you, the policeman expects you to dash him for some non-offense, and let's not even talk about the potential problems with cabbies. You just feel like throwing your hands up in the air in surrender or else retreating to your bedroom to hide under your covers. That is, if it isn't too hot for that.

Laughing neurotically--loudly and from the belly or high-pitched and nasal--is also a good choice when confronted with WAWA.

I imagine I will continue to like Ghana, except for on the days I don't, till one day I'm fed up and snap, unable to laugh. That's when I'll know I'm ready to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address below to subscribe to Kelewele Junction!


powered by Bloglet