Thursday, October 13, 2005

Gobble Gobble, Canadian Style

Last night I attended a Canadian Thanksgiving (actual date is 2nd Monday in Oct) with about 15 other expats that definitively make up 'the crew.'

There was turkey, pork roast, pumpkin, veggies, stuffing!, apple pie and birthday cake. Yum.

Before eating, we did the inevitable: told what we were thankful for. (No pilgram hats or Indian feathers, though.)

Me?

After two girls expressed thanks for their significant others, I followed as closely as I could. I gave thanks for Jane, my roommate and sista.

E.g. Yesterday I came home from work wearing her shirt and she showed up wearing mine. Neither of us had asked permission and neither of us cared. (How could I, really? She does my laundry!)

She's my Ghanaian version of Amber and Dom, my 'Egyptian' sisters: always dependable, always ready to listen, closets always open, always able to understand what I don't say, always willing to cook if I do the dishes, always allowing me to sleepover (I spent more time in Amber's apartment than my own, then Dom let me crash with her for months!).

I didn't have anyone like that in Malaysia.

I should have spent more time in the supermarket there...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address below to subscribe to Kelewele Junction!


powered by Bloglet