Monday, April 04, 2005

Fairly Painless

My visa says it's good for 90 days...but the stamp nearly-illegibly says 60 days. My 60th day will be Friday, so I headed to Immigration this morning, prepared for a nightmare and praying that the Imodium would work (the first time in two months I've had to take any, amazingly enough!).

The office was new and the lines were short. No go there to get this, go there to get that, push way to front of non-line back at the first window, ala the Egyptian Mogamma. All I needed was a passport photo (check), money (50,000 cedis / month extension, that's about $5), and a return ticket. Opps. Didn't have that one...

So I went in search of the nearest internet cafe or travel agent to get a fake itineary, which the officer said would suffice. A 10 minute walk led me to KLM, but the lines were long and the sign for an STA Travel Agent across the street beckoned.

But "lights off" at that office, so down the street I went. I found another agent, no waiting line and power on, and told them I wanted to go to Chicago, mid-June. (Don't get your hopes up, Mom!) This place was outrageously priced, but all I needed in my hot, little hands was that printed itineary, so I didn't complain. ($1900 RT, one way more expensive, but I know it's possible to get it cheaper than that...)

Back to Immigration, hand over the passport, pay the money. Back in two weeks to pick it up.

Hallelujah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address below to subscribe to Kelewele Junction!


powered by Bloglet