Friday, March 18, 2005

Whistle Whilst You Work

My updates have been less frequent because during office hours I'm actually doing work, rather than blogging. Hallelujah.

I'm teaching myself how to use Dreamweaver, a program for webpage design. I'm updating/rearranging/editing/greatly-improving the current site. I was having problems editing in Dreamweaver and just thought it was because I didn't know what I was doing. So I took my laptop to the internet cafe to seek help. Before I could even turn my computer on, the power promptly went out. But I had battery power and that meant the guys there had nothing else to do. Even THEY couldn't figure out why part of the page was locked and webdesign is their job, so I no longer felt incompetent and stupid. Their food came, so I hunted around on my own while they ate---and figured it out! With the trusted help of the handy Help section. I did a victory dance and have had plenty of work to do since then. I like doing webpage design because it reminds me of doing Page Layout as an editor for my high school newspaper.

I've fallen into the abyss of Future Panic (I think I'd prefer a Ghanaian gutter!).

I also found out this week that the place I was hoping to get a job here in Ghana (interviewing refugees for resettlement in the US) isn't hiring till the next fiscal year--which is in October! I felt great disappointment that the plan I'd had in my brain was not panning out. I suppose there may be other ways to stay, but it'll take some time to figure out and some good luck. I'm hoping for some tutoring gigs with the international kids.

I guess I don't have to stay in Ghana...but I wanted to. Why? I put it in my mind, first off. I don't know what else I'd do, secondly. I don't love it here, but I didn't love Egypt and Malaysia in the beginning either. I want to give it a fair shake and I don't feel ready to go back to the States or any type of school yet.

I got into SOAS (London) for a masters program in International and Comparative Legal Studies and have six weeks to decide and basically no time to apply for financial aid, so deferral likely to be requested...which is what I've done with Iowa Law...Peace Corps on hold...Foreign Service Exam in April...

Am I postponing my indecision? Will I ever be sure?

Why can't someone pay me to photograph hippos around the world?

  • Check out Scott's Daily Slog. Particularly his account of our trip to the beach two weekends ago (entry dated March 8, 2005) and a couple of pictures.
  • Who's got a lotto number for me to play?
  • I heard myself say, "I'm coming," when I was actually going this morning. A first. And, I pray, a last.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jill -

I think whatever you choose to do in the future, it'll open up many opportunities and experiences for you. It's a win-win situation. At least you have a choice : ) Yesterday was the infamous "Match Day" for the 4th year med students - I went and watched as they opened their envelopes telling them where'd they be for the next 3-7 years. As I saw the smiles and the tears and was happy for some but also saddened to learn that others very dear to me had placed far far away, I wondered where in that mix I'd fit next year when I'm in their place. To have the freedom of choosing is a beautiful thing, and I'm sure you'll be able to find something that you'll be happy doing! I hope you're enjoying your time in Ghana : )

- mel

7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address below to subscribe to Kelewele Junction!


powered by Bloglet