Tuesday, March 08, 2005

My first fufu

I visited my coworker Marian at her house yesterday since we had the day off for Independence Day. She made me fufu, a distinctly Ghanaian food. It's made from cassava and plantains, pounded and mashed. We ate it with palm nut soup and fish. The thing about fufu is that you don't chew it, you're just supposed to swallow it. That should be some indication that it's not something you want to savour...It wasn't bad. I just kept thinking it would get stuck in my throat. And I think I cut my gum with a fish bone.


pounding fufu

fufu

Notice in this picture a Bible, a bowl of water to wash my hands in, and a sachet of water that is drunk by ripping a corner of the plastic away with your teeth and then sucked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address below to subscribe to Kelewele Junction!


powered by Bloglet