Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Dear Miss Manners

I’ve been learning more about Ghanaian manners…or lack of manners by our standards.

A girl in my office (let’s name her LM) called me Monday afternoon (I had left work early because no electricity meant I couldn’t do anything) saying that she was coming to my house. I was napping, but gave her directions and told her to flash me (miscall my cell phone) so that I’d know she was nearby and I’d meet her at the gate. I waited an hour and she didn’t come. I called her phone and she didn’t pick up. The next day I asked what happened and she said that it had gotten late and she decided she wanted to go home instead.

1) she invited herself over

2) she didn’t come

3) she didn’t call to say she couldn’t come (though the next day claimed that she had meant to but had forgotten)

4) she didn’t apologize for not coming and/or not calling

On Tuesday, LM tells me that I’m buying her and the other girl in the office bangku for lunch. I’m startled to be told that I’ll be paying for their lunches not a request, but more like a statement. I yielded, knowing that our three lunches would cost less than a $1 US total and that someday I’d probably be going to their homes and be fed.

Last weekend, as I waited for a tro-tro, the woman sitting next to me declared that I’d pay her fare. That one I objected to, not knowing her at all.

I asked a friend if these were normal behaviors and was told that the first is, the second questionable, the third inappropriate. He said if I had been waiting for her and decided to go out before she came, I should probably call to say so. But that it’s common to have someone say they’ll come, but then they don’t. Things come up, I understand, but it seems like the decent thing to do to call…

But I’m in Ghana, so I must adapt. And I guess that means it’s okay for me to do the same thing, if I should need to…but it just seems like you’re saying “something better came along.”

As for the sharing, generous bit, I’ve noticed that there’s a flip side to it, where people take what is not theirs. Bags of my “pure water” disappear from the refrigerator; LM finished one I had beside me off without asking. Later, she took a drink of someone else’s Fanta. Is it just this particular girl with these seemingly rude manners or is it okay in Ghanaian culture?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jill-
I think it will be interesting to find out if this drinking of others water/fanta is a normal & accepted custom, or just this person's oddity. From growing up with our customs - it would drive me crazy to have someone do it, without -at least- asking first.
Pictures of food are great & the kids enjoyed seeing it. The other thing about the money-being told you were going to pay for things by others, is it just you (foreigner) that they demand this of - or of others too?? This seems so odd to me also, with the way we were brought up.
The trust issue is a sad story, I agree with your thoughts. Interesting days.

4:22 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

i've been asking around and i think that most people would ask permission before taking something belonging to someone else. i'm still checking, asking, observing. i don't want to generalize when it may just be this girl...but it DOES drive me crazy!

i'm feeling very possessive, liking the american way better, but one of the reasons i travel is to challenge my perceptions and accepted notions of normal...

ghana is more different from the way we were brought us than either egypt or malaysia was, especially in terms of ways of interacting and manners.

having a coworker buy lunch seems normal, but i'm not sure if demanding it is. i think the idea of it is that eventually, the favor will be returned.

thanks for reading and commenting! love hearing from you!

7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address below to subscribe to Kelewele Junction!


powered by Bloglet