Friday, February 25, 2005

Food for thought

I found the kelewele woman.

Then I found a fried insect in my fried plantains.

My first reaction was to be grossed out, but then decided it wasn’t that bad. I recalled from a book, First They Killed My Father, that Cambodians ate anything they could, including insects, during the famines under Pol Pot. And last April I voluntarily ate a fried caterpillar on the streets of Bangkok. Still, I put the rest of the kelewele in the refrigerator. I felt bad throwing it out in front of my Ghanaian housemate who didn’t seem to think it was a big deal. I’ll decide later…

Later, as I ate cheese and canned tuna on toasted bread (my first attempt at ‘cooking’ here, besides warming up leftovers), I thought of the dead man’s missing skin. What does tuna eat? Or what does what tuna eats eat?

Note: a real Ghanaian food post is coming! I want to take pictures of the food so you’ll see what I’m talking about. Hopefully next week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address below to subscribe to Kelewele Junction!


powered by Bloglet