Tuesday, March 15, 2005

My Weekend in Cape Coast: A Picture Book

bus ride

I got to the bus station about 11:30 am on Friday and the next available ticket was for 2:30 pm. The bus left an hour late and before we'd even left the city borders, a tro-tro cut us off and we ran into it. Well, barely tapped it. The drivers got out and shouted at each other before heading to the nearby police station. Meanwhile, our bus took up a lane, forcing the rest of the traffic to merge. Two near collisions like ours were narrowly missed. I finally arrived to Cape Coast at 7:30 pm. A long day's journey that makes me reluctant to want to go to the North for Easter...


cape coast family

The Iowa-Ghanaians. Both Mamma and Papa K got their phds from the U of Iowa and I met their Prince in Iowa City before leaving. He even made me Ghanaian food, the best I'd tasted till I had the food at his house here in Ghana. Yum. My new favorite:

red red

Red-red. Beans that you eat with plantains. Hmmmm!

seamstress

This seamstress made a house call and I got a dress IN AN HOUR! Amazing! The only slight problem is that it's fitted and I find it difficult to get off. Each time I try to take it off, I find myself somehow claustrophobic and thinking I'll have to cut it off. Instead, I think I'll have a zipper added. There was no time for such things that morning.

school boys at speech day

Because we had to go to Speech Day, which is like a combination of an Awards Ceremony and Homecoming. Here are some high school boys in their uniforms.

elmina castle

On Sunday, after church, we went to Elmina Castle, where the Porteguese and Dutch loaded slaves for Brazil and the Carribean.

view of elmina from castle

View from the Castle of Elmina

dock by castle

Dock outside of Elmina Castle

cape coast castle

View of Cape Coast Castle, which the British used. Over 15 million slaves passed through these two castles. The last ships sailed in 1860, which is really not that long ago...

momma k

Then we went to a funeral event held 40 days after the man had died (they have a funeral at the time of burial, too). As I understand it, the traditional belief is that the spirit stayed around for 40 days, so this was like a farewell party.


funeral dancing 2

funeral dancing

I didn't dance this time because I need to practice in the privacy of my own room the chicken-like dance move that they do. I have a short video clip from my digital camera, but haven't figured out yet how to put that on here...

It was a good weekend!

More details to follow.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi you,
i was reading ur blog b4 - massive mumbling and got to this site.

anyways, hope you keep on having fun out there. btw, the food there looks like it came from heaven.

maybelater
seqen_en_ra @ yahoo . com
KL

12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AHAHAHA.. Give MAMA KAFUI a big hug from Jennifer!! Tell her I miss her (I suppose george does too ^_^) I hope you are having a fab time and i'll write you later...

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address below to subscribe to Kelewele Junction!


powered by Bloglet