Friday, March 11, 2005

1 month and 4 days

1. I will not give you my phone number if I don’t know you. Saying hello does not then mean that we know each other.
2. I will not respond favorably to hand-written notes asking me to be your friend “cuz you so pretty.” Friendship, my friend, is not based on attractiveness. What you want is something else entirely.
3. I don’t think I’ve ever asked anyone to be my friend out loud, certainly not within the first 3 sentences of conversation.
4. I like getting drenched in a surprise rainstorm. Even better is when someone with you makes the observation that it is “somewhere between East Coast and Seattle rain” and you know just what she means.
5. Sleeping on a couch in a green room, wearing someone else’s comfy clothing, during a storm, after good music and good conversation, is fabulously reassuring.
6. Fat bottom girls make this rockin’ world go round. I wish it were “flat-bottomed girls.”
7. Don’t eat the coleslaw.
8. A French girl who was dating an American: I even loved the way he annoyed me.
9. “Knowing that she would hate him long and well filled her with pleasant anticipation, like when you know you are going to fall in love with someone and you wait for the happy signs.” Toni Morrison, Sula
10. What better way to celebrate one month in Ghana than to go to an Ethiopian restaurant?


If it’s not yours, don’t take it without asking:

LM has been at it again, the culprit of my missing sachets of water. Yes, it’s just water, but it’s MINE. I feel like the two-year old I live with: No! Mine! Maybe she thinks she’s acting like we’re sisters or close friends, but we’re not. Other Ghanaians say most people would ask before taking. If she had water I could just take, then at least it’d be even, but she doesn’t. Conclusion: LM is rude by American standards and not exactly exhibiting normal Ghanaian manners. It drives me crazy!

Aliens in Senya:

The woman calls hello. Everyone does and the children are a broken-record with it. But this woman, she, she is bathing topless. And she still calls out to us.

Three obrunis wear sunglasses. Which is the child that worries these pale ghosts have no eyes, only gaping, empty, dried-out sockets? And they’ll use your bones for toothpicks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address below to subscribe to Kelewele Junction!


powered by Bloglet