Monday, March 21, 2005

Amazing Grace

My mom was surprised to hear “Jill” and “church” in the same sentence. Not only did I go to church two Sundays ago-I gave money. I kind of felt like I had to, since I was with a religious woman who had been very welcoming and generous to me and I knew it was important to her.

We said grace before eating every meal and prayed before starting the car each time we left the house, asking that the blood of Jesus cover and protect the car and its passengers.

I even went along to the radio station while the husband gave a weekly half-hour sermon he paid the station to broadcast. My task? Say “Amen” every time he said “Hallelujah.”

Those of you who know me well know that I am not religious (though I try to be spiritual) and that in-your-face religion drives me crazy. But this was somehow different. Aside from one question as to whether I go to church and a simple statement of “You should try to go in Ghana,” I wasn’t being converted. The family was just going about their business as they normally did because they believe, they pray, they worship. I was hardly annoyed at all.

Hallelujah!

(Amen.)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen.
(couldn't resist)

10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address below to subscribe to Kelewele Junction!


powered by Bloglet