Monday, June 13, 2005

Two Weeks

I have gone

To a Liberian refugee camp outside Accra (still working at Orphanage, but wanted to go before I was affiliated with resettlement)

To a wake keeping (party-like, with dancing and drumming, strangely enough)

To an outdooring (8 days after a baby is born, there is a naming ceremony and celebration)

I have discovered

The refugee camp is a far cry from the dismal, depressing place I had expected

When the cat’s away, the mice will (try to) play (x 2)

That the Twi words “I know” sound a lot like “I’m pregnant”

I have been told

Every Sunday is Christmas at the refugee camp

I am principled

I would make a good wife

I have said

You have a girlfriend (to two different guys)

I can’t see you every day, I can’t be your girlfriend (to a third)

Plenty of things in Ghanaian English: It's a long time I didn't come here; I'm coming; How is it?; I am fffine; may boo (I'll beat you); Monkey no fine, but mama like am; monkey da work, baboon da chop; plenty; it pains me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address below to subscribe to Kelewele Junction!


powered by Bloglet