Sunday, May 22, 2005

Oh Pl Ease

I applied for a position interviewing refugees for resettlement to the US in February when I arrived. I had known about the position since last year, but you had to be in Ghana to apply. I'd had a phone interview for a similar position in Kenya; a conference call interview with two people from Kenya to Malaysia when you can hear your own echo is not conducive to landing the job.

When I applied in February, I was told they wouldn't be hiring till the new fiscal year (Oct) because of financial constraints.

An inside source told me they were in dire need of people now and to resend my resume. She even sent them a recommendation for me.

I had the interview Monday and they told me Thursday I was hired!

I'll start doing paper work and visa procedures next week. This job actually PAYS plenty, gives you health insurance, allows travel for work to Guinea, Gabon, Cameroon, Gambia, maybe the Ivory Coast if things are calm enough there. And you can accumulate lots of vacation time; yay!

OPE (Overseas Processing Entity) is an NGO that is contracted out by the US Deparment of State to help prepare case files for refugee resettlement applicants. I'll be taking testimony with the assistance of interpreters and helping get their documents in order. Same thing as in Cairo, almost. I had been worried about my bleeding heart and feeling like I would somehow not be assisting refugees, but just doing paperwork. But I've since come to realize that I will be advocating more than judging. I'll help prepare the case in the best way possible so that the Dept of State people will allow them resettlement. More on that once I'm actually hired and trained! But I'm feeling good about the situation.

Even though...

When I think of Ghana, I can much more easily name the things I dislike than like. That list will be forthcoming, just to get it all out in the open. That said, I'm not unhappy here. So staying for a year, especially if I'm doing work I like and have a chance to travel (and vacation!), is not a problem. But the sphere in which I exist here is very different from the no-ex-pat-friend situation of Malaysia.

[I just came from the pool and spotted a family that I thought was SE Asian. I strained my ears, but it wasn't until I was almost out the door that I heard "tapi." That's the conjunction "but" in Bahasa. They could have been either Malay or Indonesia. I didn't get a chance to find out! Running into Malaysians (only one here so far) or Egyptians always brightens my days. Will it be the same for Ghanaians once I'm gone?]

A recent boy situation has developed and I'm trying to end it as quickly as it started. That's posing a bit of a challenge.

I just wish I could remind him: No Woman, No Cry.

More on relationships and romance, African style, eventually.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

heh, bob marley 'breakup' technique. good work!

just hope he doesn't retort with a quote from Ben Folds Five's 'Song for the Dumped' (linkage)

1:31 PM  
Blogger TBird said...

Uh, Jill,

I just applied for a job in Ghana - 5 minutes before the deadline on Sunday night. But now you're leaving!!! It isn't that easy to try to hang out with you. By the way, I put you as a personal reference. The job is a longshot because I was racing the clock and did a really bad statement of interest. It still is a great one though - up North and in the education field. More to come......I can't believe you!!!! xoxoT
p.s. were you breaking up with Scott? That's a bitter song he linked.

2:42 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

I'll be based in Accra, Ghana with travel within the region, so REUNION!!!! Hope you get the job! Will definitely give you a good recommendation if they call me---send me your resume just so I have the details of your amazing-ness.

Nope, Mr. Australian Surfer Boy must just be giving me payback for a previous bite I took out of him. Literally.

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address below to subscribe to Kelewele Junction!


powered by Bloglet