Friday, December 01, 2006

Happy Farmer's Day (in Ghana)

My mom said, "Ha! Farmer's Day!" That's when I remembered it's an unusual holiday, even for an Iowan.

Yesterday I took 4 tro-tros, a shared taxi and did a lot of walking all around the city. Traffic demonstrated a test of wills---who would back down (and up) when one car tried to cut off another and there was a standstill (which happens all too frequently). I was in one of my amused modes and just laughed---but mainly because my taxi driver was making his own lane and we were moving while everyone else was not. I went to see my seamstress Lucy and even did some handwashing. So often I go from home to office and back in a taxi, which doesn't require much Africa interaction. I saved about 50,000 cedis ($5.50) by taking public transport instead of 'dropping taxis' and was sweatily reminded that I live in Africa...

And, oh Charlie, it was tiring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address below to subscribe to Kelewele Junction!


powered by Bloglet