Friday, June 23, 2006

More Fire!

The government offices, foreign embassies, and international development agencies all closed at noon yesterday. The whole nation was at a standstill for 2 hours, but that doesn’t mean that it was quiet!

Ghana beat the US in the Black Stars’ third World Cup match, advancing into the next round with 15 other teams.

My office set up a TV projector, hung balloons and both a US and Ghanaian flag, although every American there was rooting for Ghana. After the game, people poured into the streets and my neighborhood was party central, with honking traffic crawling because the roads were full with groups of people marching about, waving flags, grinning, and cheering. As I walked down the street in my green Ghana t-shirt over two hours after the game had ended, the level of enthusiasm was amazing. Americans never would have taken to the streets in celebration in this way and I love Ghana for this vibrancy and soul. They would shout out to ask me if I was a Ghanaian and I would respond with a little victory dance to appease them. The spirit and pride are still palpable today.

Next up: the formidable Brazil on Tuesday. The Ghanaians are confident and they want it, badly.

It’s a daytime game, so time to close up shop again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address below to subscribe to Kelewele Junction!


powered by Bloglet